Scamp's Crest

Scamp's Crest
The Official Crest of Scamptopia

Friday, December 2, 2011

Adventures in surgery!

Okay, so I have a lot of people ask me what is up with my ankle problems.  I am going to lay it out here, once and for all.  It's not terribly exciting (or maybe it is; I lived through it, so I can take it or leave it).

It all started in 2006, shortly after I started my first semester at Middle Tennessee State University.  I was a skateboarder then (hind site is 20-20).  I was relaxing at a hobby shop after a rough day at school, and kicking some flips in the parking lot.  I got distracted and misplaced my foot.  I fell only about a foot, but my entire body came down on my ankle turning fully sideways.  The people at the shop were nice enough to take me to the hospital after my "friend" who I was there with insisted that I was fine and left me there when I demanded to be taken to the hospital.

The hospital let me know that I shattered my right talus and that surgery would be required.  I stayed in the hospital for a full day before they could operate on me.  After the operation, I stayed another 4 days.  The doctor explained to me that he had to put 5 screws into my ankle in order to keep it in shape long enough to heal.  At the time, my insurance was sub par.  I did the follow up visits, but once the cast was off and I had the walking boot, I couldn't afford the physical therapy and ended up going back to work FAR too early.  That led to the complications I had this year.

The past 5 years had been okay.  I didn't get too many problems from my ankle.  At the beginning of this year, tragedy struck.  During the medieval combat reenactment game I am a part of, I sprained my ankle.  It hurt for a full week, but eventually subsided (mostly)  The pain never went away completely.  From that point on, I had to walk with a cane.  After I moved out to New York, I got on medicaid.  I used it to get my ankle checked out and was told I would need further surgery.

After x-rays and CT scans, I found out that the bone in my ankle was sclerotic, that the ankle itself was arthritic, that the screws were loose, and that I had bone spurs.  Also, because of the way I was walking to avoid pain, my achilles tendon had shrunk.  Surgery was required.  November 11th, I went in for surgery.  I stayed in the hospital for 4 days.

She (the surgeon) removed the screws, removed the bone spurs, fused the joints in my ankle, and lengthened a few tendons.  They gave me pain pills, which are helping, but they also gave me a daily injection which I have had to have in the stomach every day since my surgery.  Only two days left of that, however!  Luckily, a hypnotist was able to help me get over my fear of needles (more on that at a later time).  I'm healing slowly and I thank everyone for the well wishes.

Hopefully this surgery will alleviate the problems and I can get back to a normal life.  Well, normal for me, anyway.

TTFN, ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment