Scamp's Crest

Scamp's Crest
The Official Crest of Scamptopia

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pup on a Train!

"Enough is enough!  I've had it with this motherfucking pup on this motherfucking train!"

No, but seriously.  As I type this, I am on a train headed for a short layover in NYC and then on to Philly to visit friends.  This is my first time on a train, and I have to say that Amtrak is pretty nice.  It beats the hell out of Greyhound, that's for sure.  I was worried it would be a hassle, but train travel is definitely my favorite mode of long range transportation now.  Well, other than driving myself.

The seats are comfortable, and there is room to breathe.  I was lucky enough to get a seat to myself, though, honestly, there aren't that many people on the train.  And there is a food car!  I thought the food car was a thing of an era long forgotten, but there is a "Cafe Car" on the train!  It's like 6 bucks for a hamburger and I have zero money, but it's nice to know that it's there.

I always romanticized train travel.  I think it's my addiction to steampunk.  I saw myself sipping brandy from a snifter, dressed in my finery, discussing Professor Something-Or-Other's latest invention (which I always assumed would be a steam powered hat rack) with a handsome gentleman who seems less interested in the story and more interested in me.  Then we would close the car doors, pull the shades, and...  Well, let's just say that I read one too many of my mother's romance novels when I broke my ankle in 2006.

It's not a private car setup (like the Hogwarts Express), which makes me have a bit of a sad.  But I can live with this.  In case it wasn't obvious due to the fact that I am posting this from the train, it also has Wi-Fi.  And outlets so that my computer doesn't go dead and leave me trapped on the train with no escape into the outside world of social media.  I have a small bottle of pink lemonade that I brought from home, so I have a feeling that by the time I get where I'm going I will be quite hungry and thirsty.  And in need of nicotine.  But, I digress.  All in all, I can't complain about this adventure.

New experiences, new places, and new friends await me.  Who knows where I will end up next?  Now, if you will excuse me, that handsomely dressed gentleman just invited me for brandy in his private car.  I get the feeling I've seen him somewhere before...  Is that a steam powered hat rack?!?!

TTFN, ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment