Scamp's Crest

Scamp's Crest
The Official Crest of Scamptopia

Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Ruff Life (a story I wrote a while back)

A while back, I wrote a (mostly) fiction piece about puppy play.  I reveal quite a bit about myself in it, as the "dream sequence" is 100 percent true.  Mostly ripped from a journal entry.  I hope you enjoy it.

~~~~~

I stretch awake, slowly opening my eyes to greet the morning sun. The alarm is going off, but He isn't waking up. I pounce and lick his face, nibbling at His ears when I come to them.

“Right, Scamp. I'm up, pup! Calm down!” He shouts, trying to sound firm and commanding through fits of laughter.

The sleep begins to clear from His head as He reaches over to hit the snooze button on the alarm clock.

“Daddy needs five more minutes, Scamp,” He explains, staring into my eyes. He then starts giving me lots of head rubs and scratches; my snooze button.

I calm down and lay my head on His chest, licking absently. I softly nuzzle and cuddle as close as possible without climbing completely on top of Him.

“Woof, aruff!” I bark softly, happy for more cuddle time.

We lay there, Daddy and pup, enjoying what time we have left before the day has to start. I almost fall back asleep as the alarm goes off again. I whimper as Daddy starts to get out of bed.

“No reason to be sad, Scamp. You've been a good pup, so no kennel today. But I had better not come home to a mess today!” He quipped as He walks out of the bedroom. He whistles for me; I come running. He is standing near the door with my leash. Daddy clicks my leash on and removes my tail. We walk outside for me to do my business; morning walkies. I pull against my leash, eager to see if there is anything new in the garden, but Daddy holds firm. Not wanting to spend all day in the kennel, I do my business and pad back towards the door, stopping only once to roll around in the crisp morning air.

“Good pup,” Daddy gushes as He rubs me all over to get the sticks and grass off. He opens the door, hangs up the leash, and calls me into the bathroom for a bath. He draws the water and removes my mitts and collar, helping my into the tub. He then washes me up, towels me off, and replaces my mitts, collar, and tail.

“Somebody is being an extra good pup today,” He remarks.

I tilt my head and look around for the other pup.

“No, silly! It's you!” He laughs as He ruffles my still damp mo-hawk

I jump up, putting my paws on his shoulders and licking his face all over. He smirks and rubs my chest.

“Breakfast time, Scamp. Who's hungry?” He asks as He turns and walks from the bathroom.

I give myself a final shake-dry for good measure and follow my Owner into the kitchen where He is making breakfast.

He sits at the table and begins to eat. I whimper and nuzzle at His legs.

“Oh, Scamp! Forgot all about you!” He teases before putting my bowl on the floor at His feet.

I wag happily and eat, making a bit of a mess. When we have finished, Daddy cleans me up and gives me lots of belly rubs.

While He is getting ready for work, I playfully hinder Him by laying on his shoe so He can't find it.

He makes a show of trying to locate it his missing shoe, knowing exactly where it is. Daddy ALWAYS seems to know.

I whimper as He grabs his keys and starts for the door.

“Now Scamp, somebody has to pay for all of your toys and treats, right?” He explains.

I whimper softly and give Him puppy eyes in a last ditch effort to get Him to stay home.

He ruffles my mo-hawk It almost seems like He is about to forget all about work when He slips out the door, locking it behind Himself.

I scratch at the door for a little bit. I then circle three times and lay in my puppy bed, drifting back to sleep. That's when the dream came again...

.....

Two years ago...

Shivering, not from the cold (as it was June), but from fear of what had been. What was. What could be. I sat locked in the closet of the abandoned apartment I had been squatting in; no power and no water. Desperate texts to all of my friends, “Hey lol, sup? Wanna hang?” Concealing the pain of my real voice in the deceptively upbeat words.

“I just need human contact,” I moaned pitifully into the closet door, “Someone to hold me close and tell me everything is going to be OK.”

That's where life had taken me. My mother had kicked me out of the house that I was paying most of the bills at, simply because I lost my job. I spent a little bit of time (about three weeks) living out of a '96 Nissan Sentra on the streets of Downtown Nashville. At first I had try to make the most of it; a new adventure. But the danger and fear had definitely outweighed the fun. Most nights spent parked outside a 24 hour adult novelty store; my sanctuary and bathroom. Propositioned multiple times for sex for cash; surprised with myself when I started to consider accepting. That's when I decided to seek a more permanent shelter. A shelter which came in the form of an apartment that a friend was moving out of without notice.

As I sat in the closet, dark thoughts started to enter my head. I shook my head and body fitfully, trying to clear the thoughts away. That's when a surprising sound broke the eerie silence. I howled mournfully, a soul splitting sound.

I jumped, shocked at what had just escaped my lips. This was new. I had always had some dog-like qualities. Loyal, trusting, loving, and friendly; me to a “T”. At Dungeons & Dragons sessions with my friends, if I got too hyper, they would pet me to get me to shut up. I had always left decision making up to other people, following them around like a lost puppy and eating whatever was set in front of me. I had never slept better than when somebody was scratching my head (especially behind the ears). But this, the howling, was definitely new.

I heard the neighbors in the adjacent apartment bang on the wall and was tempted to howl again, just for the attention. Logic told me not to.

Slightly calmed down and just the smallest bit more at peace, I slipped into a fitful sleep and dreamed of being a dog; running through a field without a care in the world.

.....

I shoot awake, startled by something. Daddy was laying with me, stroking me and looking worried.

“Scamp, you were whining and kicking in your sleep, pup. The dream again?” He asks, concern flooding his voice.

I nod and whimper, nuzzling into his chest.

He grabs my head and stares into my eyes lovingly. At that moment a feeling of warmth and safety fills me up, chasing away the remnants of the dream. I look back up at him adoringly.

That's when I am thankful for everything that has happened in my life. The happiness and sorrow has made me who I am and brought me where I am.

Where I am is exactly where I'm supposed to be.

~~~~~

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is always welcome.

TTFN, ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment